I am interested to know…
Does your family eat together? Do you have dinner at the same time, the same meal ( …not one person eating pasta, another a grilled cheese, and the other 2 or 3 having steak?), sitting at a table in your kitchen or dining room? Do you make family dinners a priority?
Family meal time is a priority in our house. If we are home at the same time, we are eating a meal together. Usually that is dinner. It is a great way to include some quiet conversation–you may be surprised by what your kids will share about their day!
There are a couple of main reasons that this is such a priority for us:
1. It teaches Madeleine that meals, eating and what you choose to eat are important. It also shows her by example, that we eat the same as her-healthy and delicious.
2. It gives us time every day to spend as a family. Just us. To chat, to laugh, to share.
3. It give us uninterrupted time to enjoy a meal, to really savour the food and enjoy what we are eating.
Tonight we had Chili for dinner. A good one for such a busy week ahead–we should get a few meals out of this batch! Here is a favourite accompaniment to chili, soup or stew…yum!
Quick and Easy Drop Biscuits (adapted from the Joy of Cooking)
- 1¾ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp. chilled butter
- 1 c. milk
- Sift together in a large bowl the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. Add milk. Stir a scant 1 minute, until just mixed together. Drop from a spoon onto an ungreased sheet and bake 12 at 425 degrees or until lightly browned.
YUM! –also good for dessert with a little butter and strawberry jam 🙂
Tip: for delicious Strawberry Shortcake, add t tbsp lemon zest and 1/4 cup sugar to the flour mixture. Once cooked, cut up and top with your strawberries and whipped cream!