My rant for today:
Somebody please tell me when we all got “too dumb” to know how to cook and how to eat–marketers have convinced us we don’t have the time, we don’t have the skills and we just aren’t smart enough to figure things out on our own. I don’t know about you, but it sure gets my hackles up!
(…because we do have the time–20 min or less for some great dinners!, we do have the skills–come on I know you can chop and saute vegetables! and we are smart enough! 🙂 There, ’nuff said.
Here is all we need to know about eating healthy:
1. Eat more fruits and vegetables than any other food group during the day.
2. Choose foods that are as close to “natural” as possible–butter vs. margarine, full fat sour cream vs ultra-low fat, etc. In other words, the less processed the better…
3. Eat all things, but in moderation-no need to deprive yourself!! (… Sometimes you just need a few chips!)
4. Think about what you buy, question the marketing thrown at you, and make eating GOOD food a priority!
Great Healthy Dinner in under 20 minutes–from start to finish!
Sesame Noodles with Napa Cabbage–adapted from Vegetarian Times
- 3 Tbs. peanut butter
- 2 Tbs. sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. rice wine (optional)
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar (or white)
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes or 1/2 tsp. chile sauce
- 10 oz. long noodles, such as udon or spaghetti
- 1/2 lb. napa cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 red pepper (cut into very fine strips)
- 2 green onion chopped fine
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
Whisk together peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and red pepper flakes in saucepan.
Cook noodles according to package directions.
Meanwhile, place cabbage, peppers and onion in colander over sink. Warm Sauce.
Drain noodles over cabbage in colander to wilt cabbage. Transfer noodles and cabbage to serving bowl, add sauce, and toss until combined.
Sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds, and serve.
Tip: This recipe is just as good cold as it is hot–so make a little extra and have dinner tonight, and lunch tomorrow!